About the Opportunity
Under the direction of the Associate Director, Horticulture & Grounds, the Horticulturist will perform a variety of duties to maintain the herbaceous and woody layers of the Northeastern Arboretum, on the Boston campus such as:
• Systematically pruning, mulching, weeding, watering, root invigoration/soil remediation and pest management as part of the overall plant health care program for the living landscape. • Performing specialty tasks such as ball-and-burlap landscape installations (plantscapes, hardscapes, or irrigation).
• Maintaining digital records of plant health assessments, removal inventory, and related storm/accidental damages.
The Horticulturist is responsible for the general daily maintenance and proper use of the equipment and materials supplied by the University such as: cold weather clothing, trucks, hoisting machinery, power tools, hand tools, etc. Additionally, the Horticulturist maintains the daily activity/work log for the horticulture crew. The Horticulturist is considered essential personnel and a permanent member of the NU Snow Team which involves the removal of snow and ice from the university and adjoining areas including roadways, walkways, steps, and parking areas by plowing, shoveling, applying salt and sand using University snow removal equipment as necessary to maintain safety of pedestrians and vehicles. This position has the added responsibility of helping to educate other staff, faculty, students and the public on horticulture and plant care. This can occur during work activities or department sanctioned classes/outreach programs. This position at times requires paid voluntary work on outward reach efforts with the surrounding Boston community supporting the Northeastern University Arboretum’s mission. Job Description is subject to change based upon the University’s needs and demands.
Suitable candidates will have a minimum of 7 years of related work experience within the green industry of landscaping, horticulture, gardening, arboriculture, or a closely related field. In lieu of this work experience, • Candidates possessing an associate degree will require 5 years of field-related experience. • Candidates possessing a bachelor/master’s degree in horticulture, arboriculture or a related field will require 3 years of field-related experience. Must possess demonstrated skills in:
• Pruning of Shrubs, vines, and small tree structure pruning.
• Ball-and-burlap for transplants and Spring/Autumn plantings.
• Pest and Disease monitoring and management as part of plant healthcare program.
• Soil monitoring and remediations.
• Weed Management LICENSES & CERTIFICATIONS • Must possess and maintain a valid US State of Residence driver’s license and D.O.T. Medical Examiner’s Certificate.
• Must possess and maintain a valid Massachusetts Core Pesticide License within three (3) months of employment and a Commercial Supervisory Applicator’s License within two (2) years of employment.
• Must possess and maintain a Massachusetts Office of Public Safety and Inspections (OPSI) 2A and 1C hoisting licenses within six (6) months of employment.
• Must possess or obtain within six (6) months of employment one of the following certifications: ISA Certified Arborist or Massachusetts Certified Horticulturalist, or equivalent.
OTHER QUALIFICATIONS • Must be able to perform manual labor, including frequent lifting/carrying/transporting loads up to 50 lbs.
• Required to work in all weather conditions, in all seasons, and essential staff for weather-related emergencies impacting the grounds. Occasionally having off shift start times for assigned campus related tasks.
• This position is a 40-hour work week and must be able to work overtime during the week and on weekends when needed.
• Ninety days after employment employees are required to become a member of Union Local 32BJ, District 615.
• This position requires a criminal background check.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES & ACCOUNTABILITIES
Pruning, mulching, watering, & weeding across the Boston Campus 60%
Integrated Pest Management, plant health assessments report 20%
Specialty operations such as planting, transplanting, landscape installs/removals 10%
Plant database management within Iris BG for such things as inventory updates, health assessments, and damage reports 5%
Other grounds related duties as assigned 5%
Schedule and Hours: Monday through Friday 7AM - 3:30PM
Northeastern University considers factors such as candidate work experience, education and skills when extending an offer.
Northeastern has a comprehensive benefits package for benefit eligible employees. This includes medical, vision, dental, paid time off, tuition assistance, wellness & life, retirement- as well as commuting & transportation. Visit https://hr.northeastern.edu/benefits/ for more information.
Northeastern University is an equal opportunity employer, seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. Northeastern values and celebrates diversity in all its forms and strives to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
To learn more about Northeastern University’s commitment and support of diversity and inclusion, please see www.northeastern.edu/diversity.
Job Requisition ID
10/03/2023 - 2 days ago